Friday, December 24, 2010

Making slipper-socks from socks

I decided to try my hand at making slipper socks. I wasn't satisfied with just wearing through athletic socks around the house and thought slippers were too hot and didn't cover the ankles. To make slipper socks:

  1. Start with a choice sock
  2. Put them on and trace out the outline of your feet on a piece of cardboard.
  3. Cut out the shapes
  4. Use the outlines to cut out a piece of fabric that has non-slip surface on one side (got it from a fabric store)
  5. Put the cardboard into the sock to hold the shape, and then glue the fabric to the sock, using fabric glue.
  6. For good measure, I then added a felling stitch around the edges to help hold the fabric on in case the glue doesn't hold.

And the results:





Quiet an exceptional piece of work, if I do say so myself :). One refinement I want to try next time around: When glueing the fabric to the sock, rather than pressing it against the sock with the cardboard inside, instead press it against the sock with your foot inside. I introduced a small registration problem with I pressed the fabric - I didn't quite center it to where my foot naturally rests in the sock. It's possible you could get away without using the cardboard at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment