- Check the box for 'Internet tethering' under Settings->Wireless controls
- Plug G1 into Ubuntu box with USB cable. Btw, looks like the order of these first two steps doesn't matter.
- Click on the networking icon in your toolbar on the Ubuntu box. In the menu that appears, I have an item entitled 'Wired Network (HTC Android Phone)'. Underneath it is a choice 'ifupdown (bnep0)'.
- Click on 'ifupdown (bnep0)'.
- Now you should be connected to internet.
So this is pretty straightforward, and in particular, it doesn't seem that the Android application, Wired Tether for Root Users, is necessary.